December 13, 2009


The day after Thanksgiving, I always start my Christmas decorating. I look forward to unwrapping each ornament from the tissue that I so carefully wrapped it in the year before, and getting sentimental about where each one came from. I usually love every minute of it.
But  this year, some reason, I dreaded the thought of all of the work......(just the fact that I thought of it as work was a clue that something was different).  So,  for the first time in 30 years, I didn't go to our basement and get out my 15 boxes of Christmas ornaments and decorations.

 Instead, I just pulled out a few of my old ornaments,  bought some new ones, wrapped ribbon around the tree, topped it off with a peacock and called it a day! It's not my usual Victorian tree with tinsel, vintage ornaments, and pretty garland, (that takes me 3 days to decorate,) but it will do.


With a Santa here and a snowman there, I'm all done with my decorating.  Now, I can do some baking, giftwrapping and finish up that shopping!

4 comments:

Debby said...

WOW!!! Your tree looks gorgeous. I too believe your Christmas will as special around this tree as the previous years.
Happy Holidays to you and your family.
Debby

Doreen Frost said...

Gorgeous Nancy :)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Nancy, you're not the only one! I felt EXACTLY the same way this year and everyone of our crates and boxes are still up on the garage loft. Perhaps it's because the year seemed to have flown by, I don't know. But to simplify for this year, I bought some new ornaments, then decorated the tree with acorns and pinecones and put fresh greenery about. I too savor the memories of each treasured old ornament, but this year, I must say, it was a bit of a relief of sorts (that sounds so strange for something I'm so passionate about), but, the tree and house look lovely, Christmassy and smell fragrant.. and it's a most restful feeling. A Happy Christmas to you!

Tristan Robin said...

I know exactly how you felt ... I still haven't got my trees started yet. Though I did dig out the boxes and boxes of ornaments and have started sorting.

I feel this way almost every year - until I start putting them on the tree. Then I love every moment of it!

What I really dislike is putting it all away!