January 9, 2014

A very Happy Birthday....

Tomorrow is my Birthday and I'm celebrating a milestone by turning 60.

I've been thinking a lot about it this week, and yes, I really feel blessed. Forget the wrinkles (I prefer to call them laugh lines!), the grey hair and the fact that... I can eat half as much as I use to and the muffin top still appears. I don't care as much about what others think. I can remember what I wore on my first date with Rick, but I can't remember why I walked into a room. I'm proud of my successes and I've learned from my failures.
I feel blessed to have lived this long. I have friends that I've known for 40-50 years; I have brothers and sisters that I don't see often enough, but think about all the time; I have a husband that I've shared sorrow & joy with for almost 40 years; I have 3 sons who I love more than anything & I think of the beautiful women they've married as my daughters....and I'M A GRANDMA, which is the best thing in the world. Of course I've had many challenges, unhappiness and stress, but who hasn't. I also feel like I have more wisdom, which comes with experience.
I really don't believe that 60 is the new 40...but I'm not sure how I'm suppose to feel. As Mark Twain said, "Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” And I don't mind! I may have a few more aches and pains, but I don't think any differently than I did when I was 30 or 40. And, I still love paper dolls.
Each day really is a gift, and I'm thankful for each day I wake up to see the sunrise...and I'm also thankful for those Senior Citizen discounts, (and the clerks who ask to see an ID because they don't think I'm old enough-bless their hearts!)

 

4 comments:

Dicky Bird said...

Happy Birthday - I love the quote!

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Happy birthday Nancy! Have a wonderful day celebrating YOU and congrats on reaching the big six oh, I'm not far behind you and it's so true that in your mind, you're still a young un! Deb

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Happy Happy birthday Nancy!! The number may be 60 but if you're like me I'm still 18 yrs old at heart. Have a wonderful time celebrating life!

Many blessings, Edie Marie

ps What a cutie you were as a wee one.

High Gloss Gertrude said...

Hi Nancy just came upon your site as I was browsing. I'm a Floridian who is also very close to your age and I luv luv paper Dolls. I can't wait to see more of your creations. You can check out my blog at http://www.Highglossgertrude.blogspot.com
My name is Debbie and Im thrilled to have ran into you.